So it’s been a leeeetle bit longer than a week since my last “weekly” post. Sorry about that. But it was not an unfruitful time. I’ve learned something valuable…
Trying to do too much means you get not too much done.
For me, been trying to network and find musicians to hang out with, collab with. Been to a few jams and open mics close by, but it’s like a box of chocolates.
I’ve discovered that it will take YEARS to meet the right people at the right time. I should be following my good buddy Drew Davidsen‘s sage advice, “Don’t try to find musicians before you start. Start, and let the musicians find you.”
He also says, “Narrow your focus, broaden your horizon.”
Yeah, more good advice.
Part of what I’ve been doing was trying to find people to put a few different bands together, but again, “box of chocolates”. Cover bands, funk-blues-soul-jazz bands…etc. No more. Just going to do the following for now:
– The Marq-Paul Shred Show – that is what I kinda call what I do with my instrumental music, what you, kind reader, probably are here for in the first place. Going to focus more on my origina instrumental stuff, producing more, videos, blogs, etc.
– Educational Stuff – I figure, other people might like to know how to improve their playing, production, etc. So, I’m going to start putting together some lesson materials to help people out. Stay tuned for that.
– Covers – Yeah, I think I’m going to do some covers. Instrumentals for sure, but also I’m going to put a few together and play some local gigs. I’d prefer to do this with a band, but I can’t afford to wait any longer. This will be a separate project that I’ll probably link to from time to time on this site. See what happens.
– T-Shirt Bid’ness – Yessir, I’m 99.99999% set up to start my own t-shirt printing business. I’ll be doing my own merch shirts, but helping out local peoples with their needs. I am also going to start a whole line of shirts that I think people will dig. I’ve gathered close to 100 different designs and ideas, some of them just fun, but some have serious messages on them, “change the world” type stuff. You never know. But, yep, that is coming very VERY soon, as in the next couple weeks.
– Writing – A little closet thing I have is that I write stories, and sometimes draw comics for them. I know what you’re thinking, “FOCUS, MAN!” And you’d be write…I mean, right. See, I just can’t stop thinking of stories. So, just putting it out there that I’m going to start soon on my very first novel. Got about 200 story ideas saved up…probably time I start writing something and putting it out there.
With this combination of streams, I should be able to bring my income up to snuff in short order, with the support of all my friends and family (ahem…that means you. ;-). But only if you like what you hear, see, watch, read, etc.
Till next time, keep moving forward.